Diagnosis of ADHD is not possible with a single test. Psychologists, psychiatrists and pediatricians are the people that can assess the exact causes and treat the patients in effective manners. They compile their past history in terms of their behavior & activities and go ahead with their suggestions and treatments. These experienced medical professionals usually suggest the following steps, preventive measures and medications that can go a long way for the well being of the ADHD patients.
- Healthy Diets – Proteins that help to soothe the nervous system should be included in the patients’ daily diets. Mature soy beans, almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese, watermelon, pumpkin and milk should be included in the foods. The ADHD patients should be given Omega-3 fatty acids that help to regulate the brain impulses. Vegetables and fruits containing high complex sugars are helpful to strengthen the brain. Likewise apples, cherries, grapes and oranges are good for the sufferers. However, food additives and food colors should be avoided.
- Medications – Patients suffering from ADHD are usually given apt doses of Adderal, Dexedrine, Focalin XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Metadate CD or Methylin. Other medicines for this disease include Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL), Clonidine, Atomoxetine HCI (Strattera), Provigil and Benzphetamine etc. These medications should be taken after consulting the doctors.
- Other steps – Simple exercises and yoga asana play major role in combating the ill effects of ADHD. Meditation also facilitates excellent results.
- Counseling – Persons suffering from ADHD are advised to undergo the counseling sessions conducted by the experts in this field.
- Social Skills Training – Anyone facing ADHD is advised to adopt training in social skills to get adjusted with the society. It will enable him or her to move along with others. Lot of modifications in one’s behavior can be expected from such training sessions.
- Self–help groups: Such organizations can also play major role in treating the affected persons. Frequent meetings conducted by such units help the patients to recover to great extent.
Persons suffering from ADHD can be treated with support from the family and society that can be helpful to adjust them in viable manners.