What Is Cervical Spondylosis?
Cervical spondylosis is a form of degenerative arthritis of the spinal cord in the neck region. It is also commonly known as neck arthritis. This form of arthritis develops in the joints and cartilage between the vertebrae in the neck region. When a similar form of degenerative arthritis occurs in the lower back region of the vertebral column, it is called as lumbar spondylosis. Both conditions have common symptoms.
Cervical spondylosis is largely an age-related problem. The majority of the sufferers of this problem are over the age of 40 years, with the peak happening over 60 years. More than 85% of the people affected by cervical spondylosis are those that have crossed the age of 60.
What Are the Causes of Cervical Spondylosis?
The following are some of the causes of cervical osteoarthritis:-
- Wear and Tear — The neck is one of the most moved region of the human body. This puts pressure on the vertebrae in the neck region and causes wear and tear of not just the vertebrae but also the disks of cartilage that are located between them.
- Bone Spurs — Every vertebra has two spurs at either ends, which add to their strength and help them stay connected with each other. However, the spurs might sometimes press into the surrounding regions that are highly sensitive such as the spinal cord. This can cause excruciating pain.
- Loss of Lubrication in the Cartilaginous Disks — The cartilaginous disks present between the vertebrae perform the extremely useful task of lubricating the movements of the vertebrae. Over time, this lubrication might wither away. When that happens, the movement of the vertebrae causes friction and this can be immensely painful.
- Herniated Disks — When disks between the vertebrae get damaged and chapped, we call them hernias. This in itself is not painful but it can cause a loss of the spinal fluid which acts as a shock absorber for the spinal cord. Losing this fluid can increase the pain in the region.
- Damage and Injury — An injury to the neck vertebrae can have far-reaching consequences. Such injuries can cause damage to the vertebrae and bring on spondylosis.
- Impairment of Ligament — Ligaments are chords that connect the muscles to the bones. In the neck region, ligaments are present between the neck vertebrae and the neck muscles. Over time, these ligaments might lose their flexibility and that can cause severe pains.
- Occupational Causes — If the neck muscles are exerted too often, either due to work or some other reason, it can lead to an onset of cervical spondylosis.
What Are the Risk Factors for Cervical Spondylosis?
The following are some of the factors that could increase the chances of having cervical spondylosis:-
- Neck injuries
- Too much strain on the neck muscles due to work or exercise
- Incorrect posture
- Certain professions such as computer desk jobs where the neck is supposed to be kept in a particular position for long hours
- Excessive body weight and obesity
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Watching too much television or playing video games too much, as the neck is usually kept in the same position for long periods of time
Age can also be considered as a risk factor as most cases of cervical spondolysis are observed after a particular age.
Apart from these, cervical spondolysis has genetic factors as well. If there’s a family history of the problem, the person is at a greater risk.
What Are the Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis?
Cervical spondylosis can be completely symptomless in some people. At least, the onset of this condition shows no remarkable symptoms. As the situation progresses, there might be mild to severe symptoms that seem to aggravate slowly.
- The most noticeable symptom is pain in the neck and shoulder area. This pain increases during specific activities such as standing, running, sneezing, etc.
- The person begins to feel weakness in the muscles.
- It becomes difficult to lift things or to bend the neck in particular directions.
- The neck feels stiff and sore.
- There are frequent headaches, especially in the back of the neck.
- There might be a numbing sensation in the arms and sometimes even in the legs.
How to Prevent the Onset of Cervical Spondylosis?
The following are a few measures that can delay or even completely prevent the onset of cervical spondylosis.
- Reduce your weight if you are overweight or obese. Excess body weight in the neck region can cause more exertion on the neck bones and muscles.
- Exercise your neck regularly. There are stretching exercises that you could check out on the Internet.
- Do not keep your neck in the same position for prolonged periods of time.
- Make sure your diet is right. You need the right amounts of vitamins and minerals, which can help in the proper formation of your muscles and bones. An adequate amount of protein is also necessary because it helps in repairing the wear and tear to the tissue and skeletal system.
- Do not sit, stand, or recline for long periods of time. Change your posture often. Even at a desk job, perform neck exercises which you can do sitting at your desk itself.
- Do not smoke. Smoking increases the chances of cervical spondylosis among several other diseases.
In most cases, such measures will prevent the onset of cervical spondylosis. However, if there is a chronic situation with the internal systems of the body, then the situation will need medical attention. There are medicines that can alleviate such pains specifically, and surgeries can be done in cases of malformation or degeneration of bones and tissues.
There are many spondylosis care centers that you could find in your vicinity. If you are suffering from this condition, then joining such care centers help. Apart from the mutual discussions, they can also teach you methods such as cervical vertebrae physiotherapy, which can give immense relief from the pain.
Millions of people are living with spondylosis today and getting adequate treatment for the same. Though the disease is not curable, its aftereffects can be negated through surgery.
Health Pack for Cervical Spondylosis
- Ashwagandha Churan – Divya Ashwagandha Churan is regarded as one of the best vata pacifier agent that not only helps in reducing the pain but is also helpful in improving nerve compression. Ashwagandha Churan by divya pharmacy is a classical herbal preparation that is made out of root of ashwagandha as the name suggests hence is considered one of the best ashwagandha known to us at present. It helps in reducing stiffness and is also helpful in reducing pain.
- Yogender Ras – Divya Yogender Ras is considered to another wonderful herbo-mineral medicine that is known for its action on nervous system. It is helpful in reducing the pain and associated problems caused due to nervous intervention. It helps in reducing the pain and numbness that may be associated with nerves. It is also regarded as nervine tonic and improves nervous conduction. It is also helpful in reducing dizziness and vertigo problem.
- Swarnmakshik Bhasam – Divya Swarn makshik bhasam is an herbo-mineral preparation that is helpful in improving body strength and is also helpful in improving nerve conduction. It is also helpful in reducing muscular stiffness. It also helps in reducing the inflammation and improves muscle tone.
- Vishtinkuadi vati – Vishtindukadi vati is another nerve tonic that is helpful in providing strength to the nerves. It is regarded as one of the best known nervine tonic as per ayurveda. It may be regarded as one of the best known remedy to get rid of cervical spondylosis. It can also be used in case of disc problems in back.
- Praval pishti – divya praval pishti is very helpful in providing natural calcium to the body. It is also helpful in providing strength to bones as well as muscles. It is also helpful in regulating heat in the body thus is important in reducing inflammation.
- YogRaj guggal – Divya yograj guggal is also regarded as one of the best known ayurvedic pain reliever. Yograj guggul is also helpful in reducing pain as well as inflammation that causes lots of discomfort in cervical spondylosis problem.
- Ashwagandha Capsules – divya ashwagandha capsules are important health tonic that supports nerves as well as muscles. It helps in reducing vata thus helpful in relieving from pain and its allied problems. It is also helpful in providing strength to the body and nourishes it.
- Pitantak Tail – Divya pidantak oil is powerful ayurvedic pain reliever oil. It is helpful reducing stress and sprain in the muscle. It helps in reducing inflammation and relaxes muscles to improve the stiff condition. It is also helpful in improving the condition of dizziness and headaches which are common symptoms of cervical spondylosis.