What Is Bad Breath?
Bad breath is a common problem that refers to a persistent foul odor that emanates from a person’s mouth. When the person speaks or breathes, this odor is felt more prominently, especially by the people who are in close proximity to the person. Medically, bad breath is called as halitosis.
Statistically speaking, almost each and every one of us is susceptible to bad breath. When we eat food, the food particles remain in our mouth and they undergo decomposition by the bacteria present in the mouth. This decomposition process releases some gases with offensive odors. Using proper dental hygiene practices can stymy the problem, but it can never be completely eliminated. But it must be remembered that bad breath is almost never a disease in itself.
Why Does Bad Breath Occur?
When we eat food, particles of it remain stuck in the teeth, under the tongue, in the gums, etc. Despite our best efforts at removing these particles, they cannot be totally removed. We have bacterial organisms in our mouth, which then act upon these food particles. As they “digest” this food, they release certain acidic gases which have a sour taste and odor. This is what is known as bad breath.
In some people, bad breath is caused due to medical issues. Gum diseases such as gingivitis can cause bad breath. People who have dental caries have more chances of having bad breath because bacteria can live in the cavities. Similarly, people who smoke regularly get bad breath. Bad breath is also found in people who consume foods with strong odors such as garlic and onions.
How Do I Know I Have Bad Breath?
The most ironic part about halitosis is that the person who suffers from the condition is often the last one to find out about it. There are no symptoms of bad breath, apart from the odor itself. However, the person gets used to the odor and hence cannot detect it. The only way to know that you have bad breath is if someone tells you about it, but basic human decency will prevent most people from telling you that.
You could ask your dentist if you have this condition. There is also a test that you can carry out. Lick the inside of your wrist and let the saliva dry up. When it dries, smell it. If it smells offensive to you, then you could have bad breath.
Other Health Issues Associated with Bad Breath
Sometimes, bad breath is a symptom of a more serious underlying problem. the following are some of the reasons why some people have persistent bad breath.
- Gum Disease – The reason for bad breath could be gum disease. This is caused when there is an accumulation of plaque on the teeth. If plaque continues to accumulate, it can lead to bacterial infections which can make the entire build-up toxic. If left untreated, this could impair the health of the gums.
- Yeast Infection – Yeast is a kind of fungus. It can affect the mouth leading to severe cases of bad breath.
- Xerostomia – Xerostomia is a condition where the mouth repeatedly runs dry. This happens if the person is not able to produce enough saliva in the mouth for some reason. Saliva is a natural astringent; it kills the bacteria that try to enter the mouth. In the absence of saliva, there are higher bacterial infections in the mouth.
There are a few other diseases that might cause bad breath as a kind of side effect. The following have been identified in this regard:-
- Chronic sinus infections
- Liver and kidney ailments
- Chronic acid reflux
How Can I Get Rid of Bad Breath?
There is no need for medical treatment for bad breath. Even the most extreme case can be taken care of by using simple practices.
- Ensure proper oral hygiene methods. Brush after every meal and floss every day. Rinse your mouth after eating anything. In short, do not allow any food particles to remain in your mouth.
- Some herbal products such as mint (containing menthol) and holy basil can do wonders for improving your mouth odors.
- Avoid foods with strong pungent odors such as garlic and onion.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Avoid smoking.
- If you have any dental or gum problems, get them sorted out. Cavities can cause bad breath.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride in it. Fluoride balances the acidity in your mouth that arises in the early mornings and brings it down to a neutral level.
Maintaining Dental Hygiene
All of us must practice good etiquette of dental hygiene, regardless of whether we actually have bad breath or not. The following are some of the oft-repeated dental hygiene practices that should not be ignored.
- Brushing – Brushing with a fluoride toothbrush and a firm brush helps to physically remove the food residues that stick to the gaps of the teeth. Brushing must be done in the early morning and in the night before retiring to bed.
- Flossing – Flossing removes embedded particles within the gaps of the teeth. Flossing is essential as brushing does not remove these particles. Flossing must be done after major meals.
- Mouthwash – Everyone must have a good quality mouthwash product and use it regularly. Apart from leaving an appealing taste in the mouth and good breath, mouthwash also have antiseptic properties that can kill microbes lodged in the mouth. Mouthwash can be used several times a day, but must definitely be used after each meal and before going to bed.
- Visit the Dentist – It is important to allow the dentist check if there are any discrepancies in the dental structures. Caries can also lead to bad breath if they are left unchecked. Filling them will take care of these issues to a major extent.
- Using these practices on a regular basis will help you get rid of bad breath. Not only that, it will ensure that you have good dental and gum health for a long time to come.
Health pack for Bad Breath
- Divya Dant manjan – Divya dant manjan is one of the most celebrated tooth care herbal product from the house of Baba Ramdev. It is a combination of various herbs and herbal products that take care of bad breathe and also improve dental condition. It is highly recommended in gums issues. It is to be done two times a day.
- Dant kanti tooth paste – Dant kanti tooth paste by Divya pharmacy is another mile stone product by baba ramdev that is extremely helpful in maintaining the oral health to the optimized levels. Dant kanti herbal toothpaste is a blend of some secret herbs that are helpful in reducing tooth decay and cavity formation. It is also helpful in improving the dentine and tooth health. Dant kanti tooth paste by Baba Ramdev may be helpful in improving whitening teeth as well and reducing bad breathe. It is to be done two times a day
- Tab Septalin (Himalaya drug Co.) – Himalaya Septalin is one of the most recommended ayurvedic herbal product in case low imunity. It may be helpful in reducing toxins and bacterial growth from the body as well as mouth. Septalin by Himalaya thus can be regarded as ayurvedic antibiotic. Two tablets should be taken two times a day.
- Hiora mouth wash by Himalaya – This is an herbal mouth wash that not only helps in reducing oral health issues but also improves mouth condition. Regular use of hiora mouth wash is recommended in case of various mouth health issues.